Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm just trying to figure out this journey we call life

Thursday 20 September 2012

Choosing to be happy

I see this argument that you can choose to be happy around all the time and I don't fully believe it. Yes I think we have some control over how we feel, I do think that the way we look at things can have a big difference. However, I also think that there are many other factors that can affect your emotions more than your own thoughts.

The people around you can impact your emotions greatly. Whether you admit it or not, what people say to and/or about you affects your mood. Humans are social creatures and we all have at least one person who we really do want approval from. We can work towards being completely independent but at the end of the day I believe that other people will always have an impact on our lives.

Sometimes there are conditions that stop us being happy, it could be a mental health issue or having bad mood swings. That's an accepted part of life and in those dark times I don't think you can just decide to change your emotions. It takes time and sometimes professional help to get through them, you can't just turn those things off. It's simply impossible to turn of your emotions, sometimes they just demand to be felt.

However, the way you view a situation in your life can change a lot. Trying to see the positive effect that any change can have on your life rather than fully focusing on the negatives. You can't choose happiness but you can deal with unhappiness by deciding to try to feel better and do your best to help yourself through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment