Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm just trying to figure out this journey we call life

Wednesday 17 August 2011

BEDA Day 17: Fanfiction

If you don't know what fanfiction is google it now. It's amazing. Whatever you're obsessed with or even just a fan of, there will probably be fanfic for it. I love it so much. Almost all the fanfic I read is Starkid related and if not it's Harry Potter.

I saw a quote on tumblr the other day that said "fanfiction is what literature would be if all the commercial writers were wiped out. It's not done for money or fame, it's just done because people love doing it" (or something like that) I couldn't have put it better myself. Fanfic is just for fun. There's no money involved, it's just what people want to write.

Fanfiction is all about characters that already exist. Someone has either already wrote the characters you use or they are real life people, either way it's all about working from a point someone else has given you. I think that characters are amazing because they are created by one person and then brought to life in so many different ways. In my opinion, fanfiction is all about how certain people view certain characters, what they mean to them. That's what I think is so great about characters. They can be whatever you want them to be because they're not real, they've been created. We all have slightly different views of people, they may not be 100% true but they're real to us. It's why reading is so good, we each have different experiences with it, we all imagine things differently. It's something that's individual to us, no one can really tell us it's wrong because it is in our head, it's not real so we can shape it to be what it is.

Anyway, back to fanfiction. I feel like fanfic is all about other fans sharing their personal experiences with the story they're writing about. It's about sharing what you imagined when you read/watched something, it's telling people what you think about certain characters and letting them share your experiences. That's an amazing thing. You can add to a story, enhance other's experience of it by sharing your experience of it. It becomes a group experience and that's what makes it so amazing. It can completely change your view on stories and characters and it's amazing.

The reason I decided to write about this today is because I've been reading a certain fanfic, learning to dance, today. It's based around Starship and Taz and Up's relationship and it's amazing. It truly is. I'm just over half way and wow...I've nearly cried a few times already and I think there are tears to come...that's how good it is. I'm also helping to edit a friend's fanfic and really enjoying it right now so it's something that's come into my life that I wanted to share...

No comments:

Post a Comment