Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm just trying to figure out this journey we call life

Friday 26 August 2011

BEDA Day 26: Volunteering

As you'll know if you've followed my blog for a while, I've been volunteering this August. When I grow up I want to be a special needs teacher. I have gone through quite a journey to realize this though...

Last year I decided I wanted to be a drama therapist so I set up my work experience at a local special school as those would be the kind of people I'd want to work with. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. It was just a natural thing for me. I loved the kids, the environment and the work I got to do. So I decided I wanted to be a teacher with special interests in children with special needs.

To gain experience I decided to start volunteering. I helped at a local after school club September to January but didn't like it as much. I liked the children, it just wasn't as good as the special school and didn't seem as easy. I stuck by my goal though and decided to volunteer with a play scheme this August for special needs children. That is what my August has been and I've loved it! Today was the last day of the play scheme which is why I'm blogging about it today. I have absolutely loved it. I've said that before but I did. Again, it just kind of came naturally to me. I don't know why but somehow, children with special needs are easier to me. They're more of a challenge, but it's a fun challenge. You're always learning, you have to find new ways of communicating with people since a lot of them can't talk. It's just fun to me.

Volunteering has done a lot for me. I've become more confident with children, having more experience helps so much. I have picked up bits of sign language which is something I really want to carry on with. The whole experience of volunteering is great, there's nothing in it for you (other than experience) but it's helping people and that may be the best feeling in the world.

This blog was eh, more all over the place than usual and may not have made sense but I had to say what I said so I did. Yup.

Basically: I finished volunteering today and it was amazing but tiring and I'm now more clear of what I want to do. Also, volunteering is great, you should do it. I just said that in more words.

I have come to the conclusion that I definitely want to work with children with special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment