Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm just trying to figure out this journey we call life

Thursday 4 August 2011

BEDA Day 4: Internet friends

In todays blog I wanted to say a little bit about internet friends. If you have any social network site that is based around meeting or talking to new people then you'll know that you can meet some amazing people on the world wide web. I just want to put my thoughts about them out here...

Our generation are special because we are living through the internet age. More and more people are discovering the greatness of the internet; sites like twitter have enabled us to find and have relationships with new people. I feel like that is what the internet has become: a place to meet new people. I love this so much because it literally lets us be friends with people we may never meet and probably would definitely not talk to if we weren't on the internet. That is what is so special about our generation, we are living the change. I wonder if it will be normal for our children to have internet friends; I hope so!

Personally I have talked to many people over the internet but so far I have only ever become very close to one person. I met a boy who lives in America on Twitter and we talked and messaged a lot on facebook, I don't know why, we just got on and it was a purely friendship based relationship, it was great! We talked a lot and just generally got to know each other. However, about a year ago he disappeared from twitter and facebook. He just disappeared over night. After a few days he emailed me and said that his mum made him delete his social network sites because she freaked out about him having international friends. But he still wanted to keep in touch so we emailed for a few months. It was good, we were friends and talked every day. It sounds weird to write it down but it was just part of my day, he became a part of my life. After a few months, however, he suddenly stopped emailing. I emailed him asking what had happened many times and he was still updating his flickr so I know he was still alive/had internet but there was no response. I gave up emailing him when I changed my email address. But I miss him. Like I said, he was a friend. I think that may have meant more to me than it did to him but I still thought he considered me a friend. I don't know, I guess one of the bad things about internet friends is that it is very easy for them to cut contact with you (but that could be a good thing). Bottom line: I wish we never lost contact but I don't know what to do about it.

That wasn't really the best story to use to demonstrate the greatness of internet friendship but it's the only complete internet friendship I've made so far. However, that is slowly changing thanks to Team StarKid. Being a StarKid has changed a lot for me, as you know, but most importantly it has given me a whole fandom to talk to. I am part of an amazing facebook group of StarKid fans that just support each other. It is basically a big family; it started off as something that was given to the StarKids at LeakyCon and then turned into us just talking to each other. It is one of the best things I have ever joined. Luckily, I haven't had to but I know that there are people there who I can talk to if I need to; I've seen it happen with others. Also, tumblr has introduced me to some amazing people who I think (hope) will become very good friends.

This was a bit of a weird blog but I just wanted to put that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment