Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm just trying to figure out this journey we call life

Sunday 18 March 2012

Apparently I have opinions about divorce

By the time we're old, I wonder how many people will be celebrating their 60 something anniversary, I wonder how many people will have stayed together for a long time. How many people will have married, divorced and married again? I hope there are still a lot of people who have been together for a very long time, I hope I get to experience someone my age celebrating a diamond wedding anniversary and them still being an amazing couple who are just right.

The way things are heading, this seems unlikely. So many people are divorcing, remarrying and sometimes divorcing again. I'm not saying this is a bad thing; if you aren't happy with your partner and there's something that means it's impossible to carry on with them then divorce and remarriage is probably what's best. However, people nowadays seem to give up on marriage too easily. I don't think a lot of people try. I know some people have the view that you can always get divorced if marriage doesn't work out. While that is true, you shouldn't go into a marriage thinking that. You should go into a marriage thinking that you want to be with this person forever, no matter what. Things are far too rushed, far too easy to get out of at the moment.

These thoughts stemmed from a post I saw on tumblr..
"A reporter asked a couple: "how did you manage to stay together for 65 years?£
The woman replied, "we were born in a time when if something was broken we would fix it, not throw it away""

I think we need more of that thinking in society, in my opinion, society would be a lot better if we did.

I'm not saying you should never get divorced: of course there are many times when divorce is the only option. But divorce should be a last resort, not a simple solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment